Thursday, September 26, 2013

Basic Obedience

   I'm taking my Border Collie, Grace, to Basic Obedience classes. My husband has mowed a walking path around our six acre pasture. When I walk Grace, she literally pulls me around, occasionally leaping into the air to catch a flying insect, while almost pulling my arm out of its' socket.
   Something had to be done before I got hurt so I looked into Obedience classes.  I was so nervous before the first class, afraid that Grace would not be obedient at all. But she was so good, and all because of a little metal collar with prongs called a choke collar. It supposedly mimics a mother's tug on the neck when they are puppies.
   Grace is a different dog with her choke collar on. We start off walking; she starts to pull me; I stop; she feels the tug; she walks beside me. It's nothing short of amazing.
   That's sort of how the Holy Spirit works with me. I start to do something I shouldn't do and I feel a tug, kind of like a nudge in my heart.  The more of these nudges I get then the more I learn that it is best to walk in God's way and not my own. I give thanks to the Holy Spirit for teaching me Basic Obedience. It's nothing short of amazing.
"If you love me, obey my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and He will give you another Advocate, who will never leave you. He is the Holy Spirit, who leads into all truth. The world cannot receive Him, because it isn't looking for Him and doesn't recognize Him. But you know Him because He lives with you now and later will be in you", John 14:15-17.

3 comments:

  1. Thankful for those nudges Peggy; thankfully when we "feel" those tugs and focus on what He is trying to say, we feel a change in our hearts and regardless of what we have done or how we have acted we can discover the blessing of another opportunity.

    Have a wonderful weekend!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always love your analogies and trying to explain things that would be easier to get the meaning, spiritually speaking. Without His nudging, where would I be but so far from Him. Tired...Feeling alone...Maybe worthless. Praise be to our good Lord Who has a strong hold on us...Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the second post I've read today in reference to dogs and how we should be obedient to our Master....I better pay attention, cause I am feeling a little tug on my collar lately too!
    I think it is great that you are seeking professional training for your dog.
    ~God bless~ Lisa

    ReplyDelete