Friday, November 11, 2011

Resolved to Enjoy the Ordinary

This past week has been difficult. There have been thunderstorms, tornado warnings, and earthquake shakings, sometimes all at once. To top it all off, one of my dearest friends buried her husband. And today my granddaughter is sharing at school a picture of my dad, who passed away a year ago, in his Navy uniform for Veteran's Day. It has me thinking about the fleetingness of life. Really, we get to thinking we have all the time in the world, when in fact it is over in the blink of an eye.

I just want to kick myself, or worse flog myself, when I think about all the moments I've wasted complaining, thinking negative thoughts, and being discontent and ungrateful. God's grace has blessed me in so many ways they cannot be measured. Life is precious, every day, every hour, every second of it. I am resolved to start being thankful for every moment God gives me. I am determined to thank God for every ordinary day of life. I am committed to "being in" the plain-Jane moments of life and to enjoying the simple pleasures each day brings. Help me, Lord!

"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable-if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things", Phillipians 4:8. NIV

5 comments:

  1. At the whipping post with you dear friend as far as complaining goes. My husband made me well aware of that yesterday!!!! Yes, this life is fleeing. Today is a present.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Why do we go "back" there (wasted moments)??? I have done it, too, but that is NOT following the Philippians 4:8-9 instruction at all, is it?

    Today IS a new day! I choose to think on true, noble, right, pure, lovely,admirable, excellent and praiseworthy topics!

    ReplyDelete
  3. awww Peggy...sending you a ton of hugs. I've learned it's okay to be human...to accept some days I'm grumpy...others happy. I used to beat myself up all the time for not being 'good enough.' In your corner Peggy....always.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So much to treasure in this very short journey...yet we somehow miss sometimes. I always like to remind myself to spend each day as if this would be the last. Keeps me in focus...But when I forget, I'm glad He's there willing to forgive and listen anytime...I should keep it in my heart and mind: He's got eternity...Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Peggy there is such a wealth of information in this post. Thank you for sharing as always.

    ReplyDelete