Thursday, March 1, 2012

Daffodil Season

My husband and I returned home from our getaway to Florida to sunny skies and daffodils blooming in the front yard. It feels so good to have escaped winter. We had a wonderful time in the 80 degree warmth and beauty of Naples. Naples is one of the prettiest cities I have seen in the USA.Too bad it's such a long drive down the length of Florida.

I was able to get my walking program for my back pain going well down there and I have continued to walk 45 minutes to an hour every day. But I am still in a lot of pain and I'm trying to get an appointment with a Rheumatologist to see if I also have fibromyalgia. This journey I'm learning to navigate living with chronic pain is hard. When I'm in pain all my thoughts tend to focus on the pain and I lose my focus on Jesus. Then I'm really a mess.

I am praying that Jesus will help me keep Him as my singular focus. When I think about how bad I am hurting, I try to refute that thought with "He was whipped so we could be healed", Isaiah 53:5; or "Surely, He has borne our griefs and carried our sorrows", Isaiah 53:4.

It's a constant battle most days but everything seems better now that daffodil season is here, the season of hope and change. And the rose bush is budding out, heralding the season of new life and new beginnings. And the sun is shining brighter, the season of lengthy light-infused days is around the corner. And the popsicle blue skies remind me of the goodnes of life, of the simple pleasures of each day.

"I lift my eyes to you, O God, enthroned in heaven, we keep looking to the Lord our God for His mercy", Psalm 123:1-2.

"O Lord, be gracious to us; we long for you. Be our strength every morning, our salvation in time of distress", Isaiah 33:2. 

5 comments:

  1. Peggy, glad you enjoyed your stay in Florida and was able to keep up with your walking program. We are a constant work in progress and those days when we think we cannot make it due to pain, by His grace we do. Gentle hugs to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you had a wonderful time with your vacation...Having injured my neck and injured that kind of pain, I could relate to what you said that "It's hard to focus with things, much more with Jesus..." But I love His Word that you chose because indeed, healing comes from Him. I don't get that severe of a pain for many years now but remembering it helps me to have more compassion for others and helps me treasure the things that I can do that otherwise I wasn't able to back then. It is great to learn from our God of compassion, healing and strength because what He endured on the cross, ultimately became His victory...(and ours!!!). God bless you sister and may the daffodils bring a smile to you every day and remind you that if those seem to not care despite windy days and rainy days knowing His hands created them, what more with you who is more precious in His eyes?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can relate to your pain. For months now the nerve in my right hip that connects to everything else has been hurting but stretching exercises at the gym have helped and I can sleep better. Love those scriptures you are standing on. I'm agreeing with you, Peggy. Your love for nature uplifts me. I love daffodils too and can't find my photo of them the spring I saw them in Rhode Island. So thank you for the joy of looking at yours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I envy the daffodils! We have more snow today than we have had all winter I think! But we live in Alberta and March is the 'snow' month I guess.

    Enjoy the warmth, the coming of new life.

    ReplyDelete