Monday, February 17, 2014

Furry Love

If you're not a dog person you probably can't relate to this post. I love my Border Collie, Grace. When we got her, we already had two Livestock Guardian dogs and a tiny diva of a Pomeranian. We hadn't planned on getting another dog. But my husband read Philip Keller's book "Lessons Learned from a Sheep Dog, A True Story of Transforming Love", and he just had to have a Border Collie.
 
So my husband did what he always does, he got on Craigslist, and found a six month old Border Collie. Then I did what I always do, I got on Google, and read up on Border Collies. Everyone said that Border Collies were type A personalities; they are high energy, driven dogs who get obsessed over things and require a lot of time and attention.
 
I asked my husband if he had read about Border Collies and he said he had not. This from the man who always tells our children to never get a dog without thoroughly researching them, because  they will be living with you for 10 or 15 years. Then I asked him if he had asked the man why he was selling him. Of course, they are not going to tell you it is because the dog has eaten all their furniture,
but it is still good to ask.
 
Undaunted about either of these things, my husband's desire to get a Border Collie was bordering on obsession. The night he brought her home, he took her out to the backyard. Her head was down and her tail was between her legs. She was scared. I took Grace's face in my hands and told her that she didn't have to be afraid of us, that we were going to love her and take good care of her. That did it. That was the beginning of a beautiful love affair; but it wasn't between my husband and Grace, it was between Grace and me.
 
I love this dog. I told my husband I didn't realize how much I needed something with flesh and blood and hair to love on. He said I had needed that ever since my beloved  granddaughter had moved to Oklahoma. I guess he's right. Now I love Jesus more than anything on earth and I know that He is the only thing I can't live without; but it's sure nice on a dreary frigid winter day to come home and be greeted by a wiggly, friendly mass of furry love. Always. I praise God for His goodness to me.
 
"But I trust in your unfailing love. I will rejoice because you have rescued me. I will sing to the Lord because He has been good to me", Psalm 13:6.

5 comments:

  1. Aw; there is nothing better than a dog's devotion! They love us no matter what, and are so faithful! What a beautiful Border Collie, and I love her name!

    Have a blessed week Peggy!
    Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Totally understand. I love my pit bull Coco. She is definitely a huge part of my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awe, I know exactly how you feel...they are such a blessing!
    My Son in law has a border collie mix...(most border collie)...And he is very smart and loyal as well as loves attention....I remember hearing something on TV a few years ago rating the Border Collie as #1 out of the 10 smartest dogs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Because of my allergy, that's the reason why I can't have pets. But if given a choice, I would rather have a dog than anything else. They're truly man's best friends (to me). I barely remember...but growing up, I knew my mom had a dog that my siblings and I loved. I was still a little girl so it was a blur now to me.

    I'm glad you have her and I know she makes your heart leap with joy. Take care sister Peggy and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dog is beautiful! We have a border collie mixed with great Pyrenees, she is so smart and protective. I love my dogs too!

    ReplyDelete