Monday, July 25, 2011

Road Weary

My husband and I just got back from vacation. We had a restful few days in the wine country of Missouri in a beautiful little town called Hermann. It is a German settlement from the 1800s with a lot of history, surrounded by lush countryside and lovely vineyards. We stayed in a delightful Bed and Breakfast, one of many in the area.

We had planned to stay a few days in St. Louis, but after being in Hermann, the heat and traffic in St. Louis was like a culture shock and we opted not to. We had always wanted to travel down old historic Route 66, so we decided to seize the opportunity and drive Route 66 from St. Louis to Joplin.

It took us three days to drive what would have taken four hours on the Interstate. We saw some interesting sites and can mark Route 66 off our "Bucket List", but I am road weary. Every inch of my body has been hurting, and my husband is worn out from driving that narrow, winding road.

For so much of my life I have been road weary. I have trudged up many a mountain when Jesus would have willingly carried me. I have ran into many a roadblock that I persisted in stubbornly crossing, when Jesus would have provided an easy detour. I have taken on many a task and worked so hard to gain God's acceptance when resting in Him was all I had to do.

It seems like I have traveled "three steps forward and two steps backward" and never made much progress. I hope I have learned something. This year, Jesus has captivated me with His grace, and is propelling me forward on a new journey of intimacy with Him. He has opened my eyes to see that all I have to do is lean back and relax, and let Him do the driving. I pray I won't be so road weary on the rest of my journey.

"Behold, a king shall reign in righteousness, and princes shall rule in justice. And a man shall be like an hiding place from the wind, and a covert from the tempest; like rivers of water in a dry place, like the shadow of a great rock in a weary land. And the eyes of those who see shall not be dim, and the ears of those who hear shall hearken", Isaiah 32:1-3. AKJV

"For I have filled full the weary soul, and I have replenished every sorrowful soul", Jeremiah 31:25. AKJV

"Then Jesus said,"Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light", Matthew 11:28-30. NLT

  

4 comments:

  1. Such sweet lessons. There have been times in my life when that old road-weariness settled in. I'm so grateful that His Spirit invigorates, and sends us again on our way to enjoy life's beauties.

    Glad you enjoyed your meander. I love long drives.

    Blessings,
    Kathleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. From one road-weary warrior to another...

    Rest. And then press on tomorrow. Thank God for times of rest. Our hearts need them; our flesh as well!

    peace`elaine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love nostalgic trips like that. Even love it more when I am not the one driving and just enjoying the sceneries! :)

    Nothing like the rest that comes from the Lord...Truly rejuvenates our spirit. May you have plenty of rest...in His presence. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to have you back Peggy. Breathtaking pictuers. Your words are powerful and wonderful reminders that God does carry us, if we let Him. Blessings.

    ReplyDelete