Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Sandal Season

As hard as this summer of double digit temps has been, I still love summer. I hate the bone-chilling cold of winter. I longed for summer this winter and spring when it seemed like warm weather would never come. I couldn't wait to exchange my sweaters and coats for the cottons and linens of summer. I couldn't wait to exchange my boots for the open freedom of sandals. I get a pedicure for my toes every end of May and I'm good to go, my plum colored toes heralding the return of summer.

I got new insight about sandals this week while reading John Sheasby's book "The Son! Leaving the Servant's Quarters for the Intimacy of the Father's House".

"But as the father said to his servants, "Bring out the best robe and put it on him, and put a ring on his hand and sandals on his feet. And bring the fatted calf here and kill it, and let us eat and be merry; for this my son was dead and is alive again; he was lost and is found. And they began to be merry", Luke 15:22-24. NKJV

Sheasby says "The sandals are a symbol of the son's restored position. He had not been received back as a servant, but as an honored son. It was customary for slaves to go about their duties barefoot as a symbol of their position of servitude and subservience. The sandals given to the son were a mark of honor, a daily reminder that the father had not acquiesced to the son's desire to be hired as a servant".

Thank God that I'm in the sandal season of my life, regardless of the cool winds of circumstance. For so many years I lived as a servant, thinking I wasn't good enough to be accepted by God as I was, always striving to do enough. God is teaching me that I am His beloved child. He has given me sandals of honor, not because of anything I have done or haven't done, but because of His unconditional love and mercy. When Jesus shed His blood on the cross for my sins, all was forgiven because of God's wonderful grace. I praise the Lord for sandal season!

1 comment:

  1. Amen! And what a beautiful reminder of what to look forward to no matter what circumstances we are all facing. God bless.

    ReplyDelete