Monday, April 11, 2011

The Great Physician

I'm not feeling good, a bladder infection or something. Not bad enough to put me in bed so I'm just dragging through my day. When I don't feel good, it's so easy to slip in with my old adversary, depression, because I don't have enough energy for the battle. But I've determined to keep my face set toward Jesus and my focus on Him. After all, He is The Great Physician. I'm going to think on that and not on my puny self.

Jesus has the remedy for whatever ails us. He gained this authority on the cross, where "by His wounds we are healed". (Isaiah 53:5) Jesus knows everything about us. He's not content to just put a bandage on the surface. Most of the doctors I've gone to want to give me medicine for the pain but don't want to take the time to find the origin.

Not Jesus. He has all the time in the world. He wants to go deeper and find the source of the hurt, and heal it so it stays healed. We just have to be still and allow Him to work on us. He knows that the traumas of our past that are buried deep down will not get better, but will fester and abscess if not removed. So He cuts through our defenses with His sharp scalpel (His Word) until He gets to the cause of the infection. Then He removes all the rot of our past until there's nothing left to cause us sickness.

Sometimes He does this quickly, sometimes it takes a very long time; whatever is best for us. He never stops until every bit of heartbreak, woundedness, shame, and bitterness is removed. This process is not without pain. It hurts a great deal. But He knows it has to get all cleaned up so that we can truly get well.

His next step is to tenderly apply the ointment of His unfailing love, then He carefully stitches our life back together, putting it right this time. I feel better already.

"Praise the Lord, my soul, and forget not all His benefits-who forgives all your sins and heals all your diseases, who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion; who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle's", Psalm 103:2-5. NIV 

2 comments:

  1. I know how you feel because my husband has had a cough since July and lost some of his taste. Doctors take tests but we don't know the origin. We look to Jesus too. Praying for you, Peggy, for the pain and the root. Have you read Battlefield of the Mind by Joyce Meyer? She has helped me and my girls so much.

    Love you, Peggy! Hope you are well soon.
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also hope you are well soon Peggy. The wisdom and hope in your words feeds my soul. You are such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete