Monday, April 18, 2011

Jesus Is My Soul Surfer

I saw the movie "Soul Surfer" a few weeks ago. It is an inspiring, true story about a young surfer, Bethany Hamilton, who lost her arm in a shark attack. Bethany had faith that "I can do everything through Christ who gives me strength", Philippians 4:13. NIV

After some initial setbacks, she learned that she could have a meaningful life without surfing. She went on some mission trips and helped traumatized children learn to ride a surfboard. She learned "It's not about surfing. It's about love".

Ultimately, Bethany decided not to give up on surfing because it was too much a part of who she was. With great resolve, she practiced and practiced and practiced. She said "I don't need easy. I just need possible".
She learned to balance with one arm. Eventually she was able to enter surfing competitions again, although not as successfully as before. But that was OK.

My daughter saw the movie Saturday and got me to thinking again about the meaning of it all. The shark just jumped up and bit off Bethany's arm in a brutal, unfair, undeserved attack. I felt like when I was sexually abused as a small child, that a piece of my heart was bit off. Although totally different, the shark attack changed her life and the abuse changed mine.

I was in a downward spiral for many years, as I tried to numb the pain with the world's quick fixes. Nothing worked. Then I fell in love with Jesus. He showed me that He alone had the remedy for my pain. He alone could put my life back into balance. Step by step, He is helping me to overcome the damage and vanquish the shame. I'm far from perfect but I'm a lot better than I used to be. And that's OK.

"He reached down from heaven and rescued me; He drew me out of deep waters. He rescued me from my powerful enemies, from those who hated me and were too strong for me. They attacked me at a moment when I was in distress, but the Lord suppported me. He led me to a place of safety; He rescued me because He delights in me", Psalm 18:16-19. NLT 

1 comment:

  1. Peggy thank you for an encouraging post. Yes you are a survivor indeed. Blessings to you dear one.

    ReplyDelete