Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Me, Myself, and I

I have been struggling since I got back from Oklahoma. "I am tired. I hurt my back. My stomach hurts. I don't want to get out of bed. I am depressed. I am sick of this stormy weather". You get the picture. I am focusing too much on myself.

As long as I can remember I have been self-absorbed. I think it happens when you go through abuse or some trauma. I know, in my case, I have struggled with depression and negative thinking. It takes so much time and mental energy every day to battle these demons so that I can function that it keeps my mind on myself.

I hate being that way. I don't want to be self-absorbed, self-indulgent, self-conscious. Self, Self, Self. I know it's not about me. It's all about Jesus. But I need God's help to overcome my self.

My "I" thoughts need to be about Jesus and not about me: "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me", John 14:6. "I am the gate. Those who come in through me will be saved", John 10:9. "I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd sacrifices his life for the sheep", John 10:11. "I am the vine, you are the branches. Those who remain in me, and I in them, will produce much fruit. For apart from me you can do nothing", John 15:5. You get the picture. 

1 comment:

  1. Yep, I get it. I love the teachings that Joyce Meyer teaches about the love revolution. It always helps me to focus on others and their needs. We all need to be challenged about this. Hope you feel better today!

    ReplyDelete